Step 1: Preview Quiz
Before reading the book, browse the quiz words with typical sentences. Click on any you don't know to familiarize yourself with them. Then take the preview quiz. This increases word awareness and improves comprehension. The quizzes are like the vocabulary questions in the SAT® and ACT® tests.
After reading the book, browse the quiz words with book sentences. Click on any you don't remember to familiarize yourself with them. Then take a review quiz based on example sentences from the book. This reinforces what you've already learned.
Teachers who don't use written tests can see quiz results via an emailed screen shot, immediate classroom display, or printout. Verbalworkout.com assigns a score based on the number of answers that are correct on the first try. If they want a perfect score, students can repeat the test.
How to Capture Screenshots
- Press and hold the sleep/wake button at the top or side of your device.
- Immediately press and release the Home button.
- The screenshot is automatically saved with other photos.
- Depending upon your device, press and hold one of these pairs of buttons until the screen flashes.
- the sleep/wake and volume-down button
- the power and home buttons
- Press the [PrtScn] button.
- The screenshot is on your clipboard and can be pasted into an email by holding the [Ctrl] key down when you press the letter [v].
- Press Control-Shift-Command-3.
- The screenshot is on your clipboard and can be pasted into an email by pressing Command-V.
Extra Credit AssignmentsEncourage independent vocabulary work by granting extra credit for either:
- quizzes associated with independent reading
- the extra credit quiz associated with each book
Other Ways to Use This SiteThe standard and extra credit quiz each quiz cover 20 words. For those who want to look at more than 40 words in a book, additional words can be browsed:
- by chapter
- by ranking
- by difficulty level
- by subject area in which they are most likely to be seen
- every sentence in the book that uses the word
- sentences selected from other sources as best examples of how to use the word